Wednesday, April 26, 2006

T4G Journal

Tuesday, April 25, 2006, 9:00 AM

Well, I’m on my way. As I am typing this, I’m sitting in 5A on America West flight # 301. Right now I’m over … clouds. I just realized that we might fly over the Grand Canyon. It would be cool if we did – and it wasn’t cloudy!

I got up this morning at 3:15, had a quick shower and hit the road. I realized when I started the car that I hadn’t put in a new headlight bulb that I bought about a week ago. This is the first bulb that I’ve put in this car, so I didn’t know if I could do it quickly. I did, and I’m glad I did. Traveling on our roads in the pre-dawn hours with half the lumens that I need is not a great idea with all the animals on the road. The deer, particularly, were out in droves (herds? flocks?), but thankfully they kept their places in the ditches.

I was a little nervous that I wasn’t going to be getting on this flight. I read the rules before I came and was confident that I didn’t need a passport – this time (in a year or so it will be a different story). I have my driver’s license, but I didn’t bring my birth certificate. I got the lecture and the threat, but, with a longsuffering sigh, the customs guy stamped my card and waved me through. Whew. I hope I can get back home okay.

I listened to O. Palmer Robertson and Iain Murray preaching at Capitol Hill Baptist Church this morning already. You’ve got to like free MP3s.

Leg 2 – Tuesday, 10:15 am

Let’s hear it for time zone changes – at least this time. I didn’t realize that Phoenix is in the Pacific Time zone. I thought I would have lots of time, but I have a change of airlines (to Continental). This means a different terminal. That meant finding information (walk, walk, walk), finding the right exit for the inter-terminal bus (walk, walk, walk) and, of course, going through security again (no problem, thankfully, but always a hassle). If Phoenix were in Mountain Time, I would have cut it very close. As it is, I have almost an hour to spare.

Thankfully my connection in Cleveland is Continental as well, so that should be easy (?).  

I didn’t see the Grand Canyon, but there was some interesting topography to look at on the way to Phoenix. Phoenix is a bigger city than I expected. I’m going to have to look that up.

I made it Cleveland (Hi Alistair!). The flight was long, but fine. The plane was completely full. I prayed for the guy beside me, and for an opportunity to talk, but he wasn’t biting. I listened to a message by Josh Harris at Covenant Life Church on evangelism. It was part of a series called “Invest and Invite.” He said that he is always amazed at people that come home with stories about sharing the Gospel on the plane. He said he’s never had the privilege. He said that there must be a third class on planes – first class, coach class and the mystery section called “People who want to hear the Gospel.” He’s never found that section. Me either. BTW, in this same message he talks about “Ninja Evangelism.” Very amusing.

I didn’t have to go through security again in Cleveland, thankfully. I did, however, have to go to a different section (walk, walk, walk). It wasn’t that far, but I’m glad I bought a “Rollerboard” suitcase. I should get a strap to secure my laptop case though.

No free wireless here. I’m too cheap to pay for two hours of access. Particularly since my battery won’t last that long. It is now about 6:50 E.S.T. and my flight goes at 8:30.

Wednesday, 10:00 am

I’m here. I’ve met a few fellow T4Gers, including part of the contingent from Quebec. It’s great to be here. Registration is at 2:00, so I have some time to poke around. The hotel is very nice (if you’re curious, it’s at www.galthouse.com). I plan to post some pictures when I get home. I just took a disposable camera. I didn’t want to pack our good digital.

There is free wireless in a big conservatory room, though I’ve heard that the East Tower (my side of the complex) may have wireless in the rooms. I’ll have to check that out!

I’ll keep you “posted” as the day continues.

1 comment:

Dan Sudfeld said...

Thanks a lot, Terry. I just broke the 10th commandment... unless perhaps there's such a thing as righteous coveting.

Have a great time at the conference. Look forward to updates from yourself and uber-blogger Challies.